Europe

Wentworth – West Course

Harry Colt designed Wentworth’s famed West Course in the 1920s. Some 80 years on it was felt that some of the original shot values had been lost and that the course did not play as Colt intended it. Thus in October 2005 began an extensive programme of restoration and modernisation, in consultation with Ernie Els Design.

The first and second phases involved extensive re-bunkering and hole lengthening where appropriate. The Ernie Els Design changes blended successfully with the original Colt design and ensured that this great course remained a test for the best players in the world and yet was also still fun for Club members and visitors. This work was completed in 2007.

In 2009 Wentworth then announced a third phase of major work, again to be carried out in consultation with Ernie Els Design, in which all 18 greens and greens’ surrounds were re-built to USGA specification to ensure they perform to the absolute highest standards. This construction work would also address long-standing settlement issues and improve drainage to help disperse water more efficiently to the perimeters of the greens. At the same time, the existing poa anua greens were replaced with colonial bent grass to provide a consistent surface of the highest quality. The golf course was closed for a period of 10 months, during which time all greenside and fairway bunkers were completely remodelled and upgraded. Other redesign work was also carried out, including a spectacular new par-5 18th, now a fitting finale to one of Europe’s greatest championship golf courses.

Location Virgina Water, England
Opened 1926
Terain Parkland
Yardage 7,308 yards
PAR 72
Other Clubhouse
Web www.wentworthclub.com

Location



Back to whole map

Sponsors

Connect

Facebook Twitter Instagram Vine YouTube
© 2017, Ernie Els   A / A Website by Noesis